Guide for First Timers
Welcome to Bikram Yoga Bay Ridge! We are so happy you have decided to join us!
↓ Expand All ↓
What to expect
- A 90 minute (1½ hour) class consisting of 26 yoga poses (asana) and 2 breathing exercises.
- A heated room: approximately 105°F & 40% humidity (lots of sweat!)
- All levels of students together in the same class.
- The first class can be overwhelming; just try the right way and do the best you can. If you feel overwhelmed during class, you may sit down on your mat and take a break whenever you need to.
- Is it your first time at Bikram Yoga Bay Ridge? If so, take advantage of our introductory offer: $49 for one month of unlimited yoga classes! (Please be prepared to present a photo ID.)
How to prepare for your first class
- This class is designed for people of all levels of fitness (couch potatoes & professional athletes alike are welcome!)
- No reservations are necessary, just come 20 minutes early to any scheduled class. Check our website for updated schedule and holiday changes.
- Eat a sensible meal 3 to 4 hours before class, drink lots of water all day, and come to class on an empty stomach.
- If you have special considerations, please tell the teacher before class, but have an open mind to try the Bikram way.
What to bring
- 2 large towels - one for during class and one for after (bath size, also for rent at the studio)
- 1 bottle of water, no glass bottles (please bring with you)
- 1 yoga mat (we rent and sell mats at the studio)
What to wear
- Men: shorts or a bathing suit (some men wear shirts, but it is not recommended.)
- Women: exercise top and shorts / dress as light as possible.
- NO COLOGNE OR PERFUME – please shower before class.
- NO residual smoking smells.
Who can come
- Anyone who is healthy enough, per their doctor, to do a 90 minute exercise class in 105°F heat.
- We don’t recommend that children under 15 attend class. Before you bring a teenager, make sure they want to do the class first! Minors must be accompanied by a parent/guardian on their first visit to fill out the waiver.
- “It’s never too late, it’s never too bad, you’re never too old, you’re never too sick to start from scratch once again, to be born once again.” –Bikram Choudhury, founder Bikram Yoga
What to expect after class
- You might feel very tired after your first few classes. This is normal and will subside with regular practice.
- You might feel very energetic. This is normal; yoga fills you up with energy!
- You might feel sore or stiff the next day. Just come back to class as soon as possible—allow your body to open up! It is recommended that you take your second class within 24 hours of your first class to prevent soreness.
- You might feel dizzy, nauseous, or have a headache. This is usually due to lack of proper hydration. Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol and caffeine. Also, be sure to breathe throughout class—never hold your breath during a posture.
Want more info? Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page and review our Yoga Etiquette page.
Still have questions? Please contact our Yoga Advisor.
Now that you’ve reviewed all the information, all that’s left is to pick a convenient class time from our schedule, and come 20 minutes early for your first class to take care of registration. We look forward to meeting you!